Forbidden Psalm Afanc

I finally finished up this Reaper Bones Black: Razormouth. It's on a 40mm round base and was fun to paint!




There was a fair bit of back-and-forth with this model. I intend to use it to play Forbidden Psalm (solo of course) and originally intended to go with an entirely monochrome paint scheme with neon pink eyes. (Check out the Mork Borg book if you are wondering why)

It was a job a little too difficult to pull off. I ended up adding red and bone to make it more interesting. I tried a bright green glow effect on the eyes, but it didn't sit right with me and I re-painted the eyes to be an orangey-red.

I gotta tell you it was a long road getting this mini painted. And of course, as soon as I photographed it, I noticed a couple of errors. But in the interest of moving forward with the blog, here's my first "finished" model of 2021.

Now, of course one of the reasons painting takes a long time (especially in 28mm scale) is drying time. And to fill that drying time, it's efficient to work on several figures at once. So I've been picking away at these Reaper Bones Black: Dreadmere mercenaries.

Reaper Bones Black Dreadmere mercenaries

You may note the mercenary in the middle sports a fetching Milliput hood. This is because I sliced off a little too much material when trying to fix a mold line. I was hopeful I could cover it when painting, but was wrong (this is almost always the case, folks.. just suck it up and do thorough prep!). The heads on these models have VERY soft detail and this make a paint illusion out of the question, so time to bust out the putty.

These fellows are meant to be evil antagonists but my paint scheme means they look more like cut-rate Aragorns. Once the putty cures, I'm going to try to make them look a lot more evil. Probably with blood splatter and grime.

Lastly- I'm struggling with photographing minis at the moment... I need to build a new light tent or box for this purpose... Hopefully this will be remedied soon.

EDIT: I tried photographing in a different spot and got much better results! Razormouth photos replaced!

Comments

  1. They're all very nice. Particularly gorgeous work on that razormouth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a nice large model, so the new bones material (much harder than the original run of Bones v1) is good and crisp. It has a lot of detail , but it is repetitive detail, so it's relaxing instead of stressful.

      Delete
  2. Pure monochrome painting is like black magic to me. Looks so good but I'm totally unsure how to even begin. I really like how the beast turned out....it's still a fairly limited colour palete besides the grey tones.
    I see great things in store for the '-gorn' siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You idiots, you captured Aragorn's stunt double!"

    Great job on all of them, the razormouth's glowing eyes are absolutely perfect! In general, the way you did that figure works well because most of the color is at the front (business) end of the creature. So it draws more attention to the hideous mouth.

    I like that the one guy is not only drinking on the job, he thought to bring his pewter flagon to do it with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I'll post the conclusion to the tale of "3 mercenaries that looked too much like Aragorn with soft blob faces" soon... I dirtied them up today and painted the hood Much happier now! As for the Razormouth- "party in the front, horror in the back" - the Mullet of aquatic momsters!

      Delete

Post a Comment