Let there be light

Around the time I stopped painting, I had been noticing that my near-field vision focus had deteriorated. I had taken to wearing magnifier reading glasses in order to see things close to my face. This was disappointing.

I'm almost certain this is not the result of my job or from painting tiny miniatures, but simply the fact that I am well past 40 years old. Sorry kids, your eyes just get worse. But there's good news:

Magnifier light and reaper bones black wight

A magnifier light solves this problem, and also the problem of not having enough light, which is a potentially huge issue when it comes to painting minis.

I went with a mid-priced option, featuring a glass lens and ring LED lighting. It's a little bit bigger than I thought it would be, but does the job admirably.

Magnifier light on desk

When combined with my DIY wet palette and some inks coming in this afternoon, I'm all set to paint. I have been painting up some Reaper Bones Black minis to get back into the swing of it, and I'm very happy to report they are a huge step up in quality from the earlier soft plastic Reaper Bones.


Next post: Actual minis WIP!

Comments

  1. Yeah these are essential. I’ve used one for 10 years now, although my eyes were always bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little weird to get used to, but I'm loving it now!

      Delete

Post a Comment