Filthy Cultists

Frostgrave Cultists

Frostgrave Cultists

I have enjoyed building plastic minis since the first Rogue Trader space marines set. It was nice relaxing fun assembling this set, Frostgrave Cultists.

My initial idea was filthy cannibals covered in dried blood, like Leatherface. I base coated them all in a very light grey (Ash grey by Army painter) then picked out other details in flesh, bone and red.
Then I hit them all with AK streaking grime, working back into it with the Q-tip white spirit technique. 

They were off to a good start, but the overall tone was more greenish than the grubby brown I was imagining. Oh well, improvise and proceed.

Most of the job was just a two-step highlight on the robes with the original grey, then a final small highlight of grey mixed 50/50 with white. The flesh and sashes were also highlighted a bit with the original colors.

A few dirty washes on the equipment and weapons with Nuln oil and AP Strong tone, and a splatter of Citadel technical paint (Blood for the blood god of course)... And job done.

Frostgrave Cultists

Frostgrave Cultists

I have plenty of these left to yet build. I'd like to convert a couple of crazed demagogues to exhort them, once I have a core set of 12 completed. Some of them will become brigands I think, using the non-hooded heads and a brown color scheme. 

Comments

  1. FML just found you were back thanks to Allison's blog.

    These dudes ooze mood (and not a good one I'd say... won't like to find a close friend dresses like that).

    Have to check out lots of your stuff. Damn. I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you feel like posting again soon, I love your models!

      Delete
    2. Omg it's Javi! Yay!

      I really like these guys, the white really shows the blood all over them, which of course makes them completely terrifying. And the deep shadowing helps make them "dark" even though technically I guess they're light. Overall they're incredibly atmospheric as deranged, rampaging cultists of some unspeakable philosophy...

      Delete
    3. Cheers! I really wanted them to look nasty and evil. I'm going to round them out to a full 12, plus some converted mutant leader types. They are very fast to paint, I wish I could stick to this messy technique more often.

      Delete
  2. The colours are AMAZING. Filthy but yet... beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment