Gnarlls

 


Some gnolls from the Frostgrave plastic kit. After struggling to find good looking, affordable orcs... I decided to go with these guys. 

My painting had slid back too far into bright clean 90's style, so I tried to batch paint these in the dirtiest, Mork-Borgiest way possible.

This meant some zenithal drybrushing grey over a black undercoat, then building up colors with thin ink glazes. The two leader types with pale fur and greatswords were done in a more typical layering method. 

The big trick was the fluro pink eyes (Vallejo fluorescent)  which make a nice focal point and extreme contrast to all the black. 

Although my planned aesthetic haas not changed, I think I'll start playing with the Ganesha games Sellswords and Spellslingers rules rather than Forbidden Psalm.
After careful reading, I think that S&SS will be a richer solo experience. We will see how it goes.

Comments

  1. More great stuff! I've been fiddling a bit with zenithal highlights via rattle cans, but I'm probably not taking full advantage by building up multiple layers. Do you use artist acrylics or 'hobby' inks? And is most of the colorization happen on the weapons and skin/fur of your newly painted critters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I use army painter wash and Vallejo game ink, diluted with GW Lahmian medium to make thin glazes. The weapons are army painter strong tone and nuln oil, then drybrushes again with plate metal. The zenithal process sounds fancier than it is- It's dark grey drybrush followed by lighter grey drybrush, only using downstrokes starting at the top of the model. I don't have anywhere to rattle can, so I just do everything with brushes.

      Delete

Post a Comment