Back to 15mm!



Well, it's back on in full effect... 15mm scale sci fi WOOHOOOOOO!!!

Canadian friend of the blog Michael traded me some 10mm Copplestone minis in return for a 3-mini painting commission, which was very nice of him! He does some great 15mm stuff himself on instagram (winnipegmichael) and I especially love his Innsmouth stuff.

The minis themselves are all from alternative armies site I believe. The caped one is an Ion age officer, the robed guy is a Xin ambassador and the big guy is a Prang raider, sculpted by Eli Arndt, one of my favorite indy sculptors!

Because I have a substantial leadpile in storage overseas, I have shied away from even looking at buying any 15mm stuff, but oh man the bug has bit me bad. Also, 15mm minis are so budget friendly compared to modern large scale plastic minis that maybe it wouldn't be so terrible if I re-bought some of my inaccessible collection. Hmmm.

I have painted the ambassador and raider before, so I wanted to do different color schemes to those. Michael also supplied the minis based and undercoated black. Some of the casting is a little rough, but you can't tell at normal distances... The camera is cruel at this size!

This led to a much more layering/28mm scale painting style than what I typically use for 15mm. All that 28mm practice paid off though, as deep black shadows work really well in this scale.

As Allison from Painting agency often explains, highlights that would be too extreme in larger scales are absolutely essential on 15mm minis at table distance. 15mm painting is all about contrast and points of interest.

It's off to the post office tomorrow to get these guys home, meanwhile I'm working hard on Allison's welcome-home 15mm care package figures and having a blast!


Comments

  1. Finally. THIS is the kind of stuff I want to see when I visit a Spacejacker-blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent. Remember, you cannot stop until you own all the miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My prang are stuck. I did their armour plates in iron oxide and then promptly couldn't figure out what to highlight it with. DOH! Pile of shame. Your lovely paint job does tempt me to pull them out to work on again....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prang are great minis... Maybe it's time to strip them and start over? No better way to break that color scheme block ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment