Terrain tutorial: Classic farmhouse

All finished!

This Friday, Justin and I tackled the "Defend the village" scenario from Sellswords and Spellslingers. During the week, I had limited hobby time and spent it building this farm terrain in the CLASSIC way. When I say classic, I mean the way I learned from the Citadel Journal back in the 80's, when we had to build our own terrain. And grav tanks for 40k were made out of deodorant bottles. No shit!

Here is how I built it out of:

  • foamcore
  • cardboard
  • texture gel 
  • popsicle sticks. 
Basic structure built from foamcore board. Strips of tiles cut from the Frostgrave cultists box.



Tiles glued in place with PVA, popsicle stick timberwork superglued on. Sections of foamcore peeled back and pencil used to dig in stonework detail.


Acrylic artist's coarse texture gel applied to walls, built fences out of popsicle sticks and lots of superglue.

A fun and nostalgic trip into the early days of my terrain making. I hope this inspires someone to begin scratch building (It's the most creative terrain as well as usually the cheapest).
Get to building!

Comments

  1. Superb.
    You are old, like me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you did the damaged stucco. So simple! It seems obvious, but I don't think I would have come up with that method. It's a great piece of terrain: earthy, rustic, the perfect medieval agrarian hovel.

    Now I'm waiting for you to do that deodorant grav tank. That would be a true classic piece of gear. You try to convince kids today that anyone did that? They wouldn't believe you. And honestly I couldn't blame them 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Peeling off the paper from foam core is something I picked up more recently, but the stucco idea is to avoid doing a lot of stonework :) Im absolutely going to make a deodorant bottle vehicle now!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment